[Orca-announce] Last Orca email through Yahoo!

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Nov 5 19:50:32 PST 2002

This is the last email to the Orca mailing lists using Yahoo!'s email
servers.  All further Orca messages should be sent to the appropriate
mailing list hosted on orcaware.com.  I'm using the Mailman mailing
list system to host these mailing lists.

I have turned off the ability to subscribe to and send messages to the
Yahoo! Orca groups.

1) Why is this happening?

   a) No more advertising in email messages.

   b) Surfing the web archive does not show any advertising and
      doesn't have that annoying "click here" to see the real message.

2) What are the new email addresses?

   Here's the mapping between the old and new mailing list addresses:

     orca-announce at yahoogroups.com     orca-announce at orcaware.com
     orca-developers at yahoogroups.com   orca-dev at orcaware.com
     orca-discuss at yahoogroups.com      orca-users at orcaware.com
     orca-users at yahoogroups.com        orca-users at orcaware.com

   Note that orca-discuss and orca-users are being merged into
   orca-users.

3) Welcome email & new password

   You should be receiving an email soon from OrcaWare welcoming you
   to the OrcaWare mailing list along with a password.

4) Managing your Orca subscription

   Your email address and this password let you manage your
   subscription via the web.  The URLs for managing your subscription
   are:

   Go to the bottom of the web page, enter your email address, then
   click on "Edit Options".

5) New Orca code checkin mailing list

   is a publicly accessible, read-only list which is used to
   disseminate version control check-in messages made by the Orca
   maintainers to the Orca developer community.  You can subscribe to
   this list by going to

6) Script to rearchive messages for mailman

   <off-topic>

   I wrote a pretty complicated Perl script to process all of my mail
   box folders and pull out and process email messages that were sent
   to one of the Orca mailing lists.  I did this to put together a
   nice archive version of all the Orca messages so it can be easily
   browsable.

   I'm pretty proud of it and it took a lot of work in writing it.
   Contact me fore a copy of it.  I'll put it up shortly on my
   Subversion server.

   The script is designed to process both Inbox and Sent style mail
   boxes.

   This script can do the following things:

   a) Read any number of input mail box files.

   b) Copy messages in the input mail box files to one or more output
      mail box folders using any number of regular expressions that
      are checked against the To, Cc and Bcc headers to decide if and
      which output folder to copy the message to.

   c) Delete the Bcc's in the messages in the output mail folders
      because they wouldn't be seen by any receiving parties.

   d) To make browsing the Mailman archive easier, convert any
      text/html messages to text/plain.

   e) Remove most Yahoo! advertising added to the bottom of the
      text/html or text/plain messages.

   f) remove text/html message parts when the message type is
      multipart/alternative and a text/plain part exists.

   g) remove message parts whose Content-Type matches regular
      expressions.  I used this to remove my Vcard attachments from
      the archive.

  </off-topic>