[Orca-dev] Re: orcallator needing to be root (was Re[2]: orca-ing data already in a database? (fwd))

rcarruth at tempe.tt.slb.com rcarruth at tempe.tt.slb.com
Thu Oct 4 11:20:46 PDT 2001

--- In orca-developers at y..., Rusty Carruth <rcarruth at t...> wrote:

> Anyway:
>
> Basically, I want to make orcallator work without having to be root.
> > > I assume you'd like the patches when I'm done?
> >
> > Of course :)

(Blasted stupid web interface!  If you go to preview, DO NOT EVER
hit the back button unless you want to start all over again!
Stupid stupid stupid! ;-(  Ok, getting off soapbox, sorry)

Well, as it turns out the problem was that, on my solaris machine,
fd0 is a bad device (for some value of bad) when you are not root.

So, I simply modified orca to NOT allow 'fd' as the first 2
characters of the short_name.

While I was at it, I want to have the DNnsrkcmdit fields outputted
as numeric values so I can plot them also, thus allowing me to
show how long the problems happen, and where they are on the
OTHER plots.

So, I also added 11 fields called Dw Nw nw sw rw kw cw mw dw iw and
tw, and modified my config file to handle them.  I've got a BUNCH
of other junk in my config file also to handle the OLD format
from percollator, so it will take me a little bit to get that
cleaned up before I send those changes in....

Should I send the context diff to Blair directly, or to the list?
(if you want more than 'diff -c file1 file2' let me know).

rc