[Orca-dev] archive dailies & percollator file columns change

tvanlingen tvlingen at acslink.net.au
Mon Jan 28 21:08:06 PST 2002

HI.

We've a need to archive the daily charts for the management, possibly
on-line. Has any-one ever thought of or actually written an extention
on Orca that makes it write the dailies to an archive dir? I'm
thinking of a configuration parameter that would cause Orca to create
a directory structure like the current one, under a configurable
archive location, and write the daily charts in there on or near a
configurable time (say 0:00AM). I know it would cause a lot of space
to be wasted, 8Mb daily, in our case. Just lets' assume diskspace is
in abundance... it's the management that pays anyhow :0)

If nobody has, can anyone point me to a  good spot to squeeze this in?

Secondly, today I noticed that Orca assumes that the first line in a
file describes the entire file. HOwever, when one of our SAN's failed
this mornig and we had to reboot everything, the percolator files had
an extra column, and all the disk-related columns were mixed up. This
is caused by the fact that the mounted SAN partitions get a new
target# assigned (and the /dev/dsk/.. devices changes). The new column
set has a new header, that appears at the point where orcallator was
re-started. Is it possible to have Orca re-read a column header
whenever orcallator causes it to be written into the files? Now it
just refuses to process anymore data, which is a bummer.

Cheers,
Tony