[Orca-dev] orcallator.se patches

Dmitry Berezin dberezin at surfside.rutgers.edu
Tue May 25 11:03:07 PDT 2004

Blair,

Here are some orcallator.se patches that I was talking about previously.

Two small patches - logfile compression and timestamp do not need any
further explanation.

The workload patch that requires workinfo_class.se to be placed in
/opt/RICHPse/include, needs some comments.

I have already written some usage notes for the work_info_class (see
workinfo_class.se), but I think a bit more needs to be said. First of all,
this class (orca friendly modification of workload_class.se) allows the
following types of data collection:

Count number of processes and number of threads

Collect CPU usage data

All of these data is collected based on executed command, command arguments,
executing user, and processor set binding. Arbitrary number of sets of
processes (or workloads) can be defined, exact matching or pattern matching
is set for each workload, match each process only once or for all workloads
setting is available, total statistics (for all processes) are collected,
and initialization information can be printed for debugging. All information
is collected with a single pass through process table.

Used with orcallator.se, this class provides mechanism for counting
processes (oracle connections, http processes, etc.), collecting workload
information within orcallator.se, collecting all or either of the above,
choosing whether to collect Totals.

Included orcallator.se patch only contains an example of what WORKLOAD_INFO
can be set to.

To enable this code, start_orcallator script needs to be modified to include

-DWATCH_WORKLOAD

and optionally

-DWORKLOAD_NO_TOTAL and/or -DWORKLOAD_COUNT_ONLY

to control what data is being collected.

It would be great to get some feedback and discuss any possible
changes/additions.

  -Dmitry.