[Orca-dev] orcallator.se patches

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu May 27 22:25:28 PDT 2004

Dmitry Berezin wrote:

> Blair,
>

> Here are some orcallator.se patches that I was talking about previously.
>

> Two small patches – logfile compression and timestamp do not need any
> further explanation.

Dmitry,

I'm not comfortable yet with the timestamp modification patch.  Can you explain
what exactly you're seeing that makes you want to change this?

How much off is the timestamp?  Just a couple of seconds I would guess?

Looking at this code:

     // Calculate the next time to sleep to that is an integer multiple of
     // the interval time.  Make sure that at least half of the interval
     // passes before waking up.
     now        = time(0);
     sleep_till = (now/interval)*interval;
     while (sleep_till < now + interval*0.5) {
       sleep_till += interval;
     }

#ifdef WATCH_WEB
     measure_web(sleep_till);
#else
     sleep_till_and_count_new_processes(sleep_till);
#endif

and down further in sleep_till_and_count_new_processes() and measure_web(), the
code is designed to sleep to the next integer multiple of the interval.  So this
should work fine.

Are you using WATCH_HTTPD or WATCH_WEB?

So something is happening that the process isn't waking up at the right time.
Are you on a slow system?

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/