[Orca-users] Re: HELP: Cannot display disk related graphs

Blair Zajac blair at akamai.com
Tue Apr 11 16:11:25 PDT 2000

gdallair at criq.qc.ca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed ORCA and I am trying to use it to monitor two hosts.
>
> SE is configured and running on both hosts. I am NOT using NFS (and
> do not want to) and I am transfering the orcallator from the remote
> node to the node running orca with rsync, once per hour.
>
> I am running orca -o -v my_config_file once per hour as well
>
> All seems to be ok except for all the disk related graphs that do not
> display correctly. I have a LOT of disks here, approx 20 disks per
> hosts. I am using disksuite too on some file systems.

The problems I have seen is where Orca displays slightly different
plots for the same data.  So you'll end up with two or more disk
plots for the same disks.  This is a bug that needs to be fixed.

> There seems to be some problem with the way orca is naming the html
> files and png files, for example, I have files with names like:
>
> o_disk_runp_c1t6d0,o_disk_runp_c0t0d0,o_disk_runp_c0t1d0,o_disk_runp_m
> d11,o_disk_runp_md12,o_disk_runp_md10,o_disk_runp_md101,o_disk_runp_md
> 102,o_disk_runp_md100,o_disk_runp_md21,o_disk_runp_md22,o_disk_runp_md
> -xxYImAwgyRnI3L5j8ThUTQ-yearly.html
>
> This is a very LONG file name... And what about the
> xxYImAwgyRnI3L5j8ThUTQ part of it ? What is it ?

This is not a bug.  The problem was that the way Orca generated
file names could lead to names longer than 256 bytes and the file
could not be generated.  The solution to still create unique names
was to take the long name, take its MD5 hash, chop the filename
down to 230 or so bytes and append the MD5 hash.  This is why
the names appear like this.

> On the machine that this file is probably tied to, I have the
> following devices mounted:
>
> /dev/md/dsk/d100
> /dev/md/dsk/d10
> /dev/md/dsk/d20
> /dev/dsk/c2t11d0s2
> /dev/dsk/c4t5d0s2
> /dev/dsk/c3t6d0s2
> /dev/dsk/c3t15d0s2
> /dev/dsk/c5t2d0s2
> /dev/dsk/c4t3d0s2
> /dev/dsk/c4t4d0s2
> /dev/dsk/c2t5d0s2
> /dev/dsk/c5t4d0s2
>
> There are many problems here:
>
> a) D101 and D102 for examples should not show (or be included in the
> file name) because they are submirrors of D100 (Same for D21, D22
> D11, D12, submirrors of D20 and D10) and they will show the same
> numbers of IO's as the mirror itself.

Which version of orcallator.se are you using?  I don't think
orcallator.se is smart enough to figure this all out.  It will print
the statistics for every disk.

> b) Where are the other devices in the filename (Eg: c3t15d0s2,
> c4t3...) ?

Don't know.  Are they in the output generated by orcallator.se?

> Also, there seems to be 3 kinds of filenames in the orca web
> directory, 1 filename without the 'hostname' prefix, and 1 filename
> prefixed by each of my hosts.
>
> Ex: File o_some_file_name...
>          o_myhost1_some_file_name...
>          o_myhost2_some_file_name...
>
> What is the file without hostname ? Is it the SAME file as the one
> with the hostname where orca is running ?

No, its probably the HTML file that contains the images for all of
the hostnames.

Blair