[Orca-users] rows to columns

Mike Barrow Mike.Barrow at spain.sun.com
Mon May 29 11:28:19 PDT 2000

I have data files with the following format:

Description    (tab)   Value

such as:

hardware_errors        15
disk_svc_time            45
hardware_errors        22
CPU_usr                        37
hardare_errors            22
CPU_usr                        43
hardware_errors          15
disk_svc_time            45
disk_svc_time            51
etc.

and I would like to plot these values with orca.

As I understand, these values need to be placed in columns:

hardware_errors    disck_svc_time    CPU_usr    ... etc
15                                45                            37
22                                53                            43

I have spent several days with "Learning Perl" , and at best, I have
only been able to separate the values into separate
files.    If I separate the output into separate files, I then have
problems joining them back together in columns.

Is there an easy way to covert rows to columns? or can I tell orca to
use the first field of the row as the descriptor of the data?

TIA.

./mike