[Orca-users] Re: percol dies without any notice

jstuckey at privada.com jstuckey at privada.com
Wed Nov 8 09:03:16 PST 2000

I recently had this problem as well. It turned out (on my systems) to
be an environment issue that I do not completely understand. I have a
stack of Netras running SunOs 5.7 and installed Orca-0.26 beta1. We
use ssh and allow direct root logins to the boxes. I would ssh into a
box (as root) and start '../se.sparcv9.5.7  ../orcallator.se' using
the start script in /etc/rc3.d. As soon as I logged out of this box
the process would die. I confirmed this several times by logging in on
another terminal and running a truss -v on the orcallator pid. As soon
as I logged out of the root shell that invoked orcallator.se,
orcallator would die at the exact same time.

I then decided to login with a normal user account and su - to invoke
/etc/profile. If I did this, after restarting, orcallator would
continue to run after logging out of the box. None of these machines
have a problem with orcallator after rebooting, that works just
fine... So it appears to be an environment issue with the root login.

I then checked for differences between the two environments and found
the following:

When directly ssh into the box as root, the following variables's are
the only thing different from the su - environment. Path's and
everything else are the same...

SSH_CLIENT=192.168.1.172 2648 22
SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/3
USER=root

So I am guessing that somehow when the ssh_tty dies so does
Orcallator.se? Its not a great problem but I thought others may be
interested and/or have some thoughts.

Thanks
Joel Stuckey
Privada Inc.