[Orca-users] Re: are old percol-* (orcallator) files necessary?

Paul Haldane Paul.Haldane at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Oct 25 01:45:22 PDT 2000

> Is it necessary to keep old orcallator output files (ie: the percol-*
> files, not the rrd files) around?  I've been running orcallator
> on several systems for several months now, and those old percol-*.gz
> files are really starting to pile up.  When is it okay to blow them
> away?  After Orca runs and updates the rrd files?

That's my understanding.  I tend to bundle up old percol files on a
monthly basis and archive them.  One reason for keeping old files is that
they have the most detailed stats for previous weeks in which get
'smoothed out' in the rrd files as you go back in time.  Also if you're
not currently plotting everything in the input file then having the old
log files allows you to generate historic graphs of things you decide you
want later.

> that "orcallator" looks at all the time which gets rotated daily.  Is
> this possible simply by modifying the find_files line in Orca's .cfg
> file?

IIRC this should be fine as long as the inode of the file changes when you
turn the log so that orca can detect that it's a different file.

> Thanks so much for any help.  If anyone is interested in checking out
> what I've done, I'll be glad to pass it along once it's completed.

Yup - I'd be interested in this - I did do a quick hack based on reading
stuff from /proc a while back but I've mislaid that :-<

Paul
--
Paul Haldane
Computing Service