[Orca-users] Cleaning out old data

Charles Dennett charles.dennett at kodak.com
Wed Dec 12 04:38:25 PST 2001

I think someone may have asked recently about this, so pardon me
if it's a repeat.

I've run orcallator on many systems for quite a while.  Is there
any sense in keeping the orcallator data files over a year old
since the Orca charts only go back a year?  Even then, the data files
are not needed once the data has been put into the RRD files, right?
I know I can blow away the RRD files and Orca will rebuild them with the
data from the orcallator data files, but that's the only time they
are needed (other than initially).  Is that correct?

On a related note, as I've added, removed, and moved disks over
time, Orca keps adding disk space and inode graphs every time it
sees a new disk layout.  It's not clear to me if later versions of
orcallator and Orca addressed this problem.  Is this still a problem with
the latest versions or not?  If I am seeing this because of the older data
I've collected with older versions, then I should be able to remove
the RRD files, remove the older orcallator data files and allow Orca
to rebuild the RRD files and graphs and perhaps reduce the number of these
extras disk space related graphs.  In case it makes a difference, some of
my systems have DiskSuite installed. Where it is installed, I use it to
construct 2 way mirrors.

Thanks to Blair for Orca.  It's a great tool!

--
Charles Dennett
Eastman Kodak Company, Rochester, NY