[Orca-users] RE: Linux support, call for alpha testers

Guilherme Carvalho Chehab gchehab at abordo.com.br
Thu Jun 28 05:21:59 PDT 2001

Quoting Mark Rowlands <markr at guld.spray.se>:

> No graphs are produced for
>
> Disk Transfer Rate

That=B4s odd. I don=B4t recall testing procallator with kernel 2.2.19. May = be the
is some diference on the layout of /proc/stat. If you can snapshot a copy a= nd
send to me I can check it out.

> Memory (available swap stat)

I would need to see your config file. If you are using my original config f= ile
it shoud be in "Swap usage percent" graph.

> Memory Page Residence Time

Unfortunly I didnt=B4found this metric available on linux /proc filesystem.= If
anyone have a clue where can it be found I will gladly prepare procallator = to
collect it.

> Memory Page Scan Rate

Is the "Page ins & outs rate" graph woeking?

> Memory Page Usage

This should be in "Physical Memory usage percent"

> Memory Pages Locked & IO

I could not find any way to get this information from linux /proc. All memo= ry
metrics that I found are in the "Physical Memory usage percent" g= raph.

By the way, it should be noted that Linux seems to be far less limited than=
Solaris on what concerns performance metrics. The 2.4 kernel looks a little=
more verborragic than 2.2, speccially on disk measurements.

> Also seem to be some problems with swap usage percent figures shown on=
> graph
>

> If values are less than 1 it reduces scale
> CPU states: 10.7% user,  9.6% system,  0.0% nice, 79.5% idle=
> Mem:   517080K av,  512564K used,    451= 6K free,    6220K shrd,
> 10912K
> buff
> Swap:  265176K av,     976K used,  26420= 0K free           &n= bsp;
> 395300K
> cached
>
> Graph says :-
>
> Used             370= .000 m    should be   .37
> Current       99630.000 m  should be 99.= 63

I scaling issue is due the way orca/rrdtool are working, They do the re-sca= ling
automatically... If you see the data collected on the procoll-YYYY-MM-DD, t= hey
are not scaled. I think that someone has posted a patch on orca to control = this
behavior though I never tried myself.

regards
Guilherme

o.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of Service.