[Orca-users] Re: Out of memory error

chris.giacomino at chase.com chris.giacomino at chase.com
Fri Nov 2 12:34:57 PST 2001

Prasad,

While I wish I had time to get into a better explanation, we are currently
running Orca on Solaris 2.5.1, 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8.  As Blair mentioned, with
Perl not giving memory back you are subject to the operating system's
ability to handle "taking" memory back.

On 2.5.1 we have experienced problems exactly along the lines of what you're
describing, and after some research we determined that Solaris 2.6 and up
have much better ability to do memory management, in particular taking back
memory from apps that aren't using it.

As a result, we restart Orca once a week on 2.5.1, and it runs fine on
everything else.

Regards,

Chris