[Orca-users] Re: Nightly "did exist and is now gone" email messages

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Nov 8 10:51:47 PST 2001

Douglas Valkenaar wrote:

> Every night after setting up Orca and the orcallator I'm receiving messages
> such as:
>
> Orca: file `/proj/atria/etc/orcallator/trout/orcallator-2001-11-06-000' did
> exist and is now gone.
>
> I get two of them and then they stop until the next night.  Does anyone
> know the cause of this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Douglas,

I just added this question to the FAQ at

	http://www.orcaware.com/orca/docs/FAQ.txt

  2.4) Warning: file `.../orcallator/host1/orcallator-2001-11-06-000'
       did exist and is now gone.

       Orca prints this message when it found an input data file to
       read and when it goes to read it, which may be a while later,
       the file no longer exists.

       When Orca is being used with orcallator.se, this message may
       occur when orcallator.se compresses the previous day's percol-*
       or orcallator-* file that Orca found.

Are you compressing or removing the percol-* or orcallator-* data files at
some point in the day?

Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> - Perl & sysadmin services for hire