[Orca-users] Some questions about Orca.

Leewa leewa2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 09:52:12 PST 2001

To all,

    I'm somewhat a beginner/intermediate Systems
Adminsistrator, so bear with me as far as my questions
go.  I've got some other questions about Orca, but
first the configuration I'm using is listed below.

Version: Orca 0.27b2
CFG Version: orcallator.cfg 1.32
SE Version: orcallator.se 1.32

Using "default" configuration.  Running orcallator.se
and orca on the same system.  RRD files are stored on
local system's disk.  HTML files are stored on NFS
mounted disks.  These disks are local to our internal
Apache web server which hosts the resulting HTML
files.

I'm not sure if this is the setup I will use, but it
doesn't seem to put much of a load on the host and
seems like it works well.  I got this idea from a
centralize the RRD data collection, but I'm not sure
yet.

Questions:
----------
1. If I use the default setup that I have (RRD files
locally stored, HTML files on web server disk),
roughly, how much disk space I would be using over a
period of a day, month, year?  So far, the stuff in
the RRD directory and orcallator directory under my
/usr/local/var is only 4 Meg.  This is after running
orca for about 4 days now.

2. Does orca have options that will "roll off" some of
the data or would I need to create a sperate crontab
entry to remove older RRD/HTML files after a certain
period of time?  I'm just trying to avoid filling up a
filesystem.

3. Is using the "defaults" in the orcallator.cfg and
orcallator.se file good enough for most system?  They
seem to be with regards to my setup here.

4. How easy is it for me to change the layout of the
created HTML pages that are generated?  Is this mainly
in the orcallator.cfg file?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Blair, BTW, your orca program is really neat.  Never
seen anything like it and it's a great thing to have
to show your management who are concerned about
hardware utilization.  Thanks for having this program.

Wayne Lee
Systems Administrator
Amerada Hess Corp.