[Orca-users] Re: Oracle Database

Phillip B. Bruce pbbruce at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 16 00:04:45 PDT 2001

Blair Zajac wrote:

> Phillip,
>
> The hiding of email address is not for you, its for any spam gathering
>
> programs out there that may find this email archived on a public web
> site.
>
> In any case, it's my private mail archive where I found it.  I checked
> and
> there's no public archive of this thread.
>
> I tried commenting out the Sprite module and the module compiled.
> There
> are two CPAN modules that have the name Sprite, one of them that may
> be
> useful since its a DBD:  DBD::Sprite.
>
> I was going to clean the code up also, but not do a major rewrite.  It
>
> definitely could be integrated into Orca's build and install process
> properly set the Perl program to use and other details.
>
> Let me know if you decide to take a hack at it, I may already have
> hacked
> up my copy by then.
>
> Blair
>
> > Blair,
> >
> >   Thanks. You can use real email addresses. I'm not that lame.
> >
> >    I'll keep the group posted. Let me know if that is correct email
> > address as I will
> >    try and if I fail. Can you let me know what  Archive Mail Box you
>
> > found that at?
> >
> >    This may be very, very old and the author may have just gone
> home.
> >
> >     I can tell you right now that you'll need at least 2 perl
> modules
> > one of which
> >     is DBI ( Database Interconnect) Module. I used that one quite a
> bit
> > while doing
> >     some ldap connectors for a customer of mine.
> >
> >     The other is one I haven't seen before Sprite. I'll have to do
> some
> > more searching cause
> >      This module Sprinte::General is required in the code so. The
> one I
> > downloaded tonight
> >     does have that aspect of the perl module.
> >
> >      If he can't located, I'll take a whack at it. But I'm not going
> > waste my breath. The code
> >      isn't that bad but not that great either. Lack of Style just a
> > little. I want it to work first before
> >      I attack that problem.

Blair,

  Thanks, That made sense about the email.

  I'll try something this weekend and see if I have any luck. I'm
currently running Oracle 8.1.6 on x86 platform
  but do have a sparc at work (Bad Power Supply). When that is fix, I'll
try your current code with Oracle
   running on that.

   The code also seems to assume that you have the main ORACLE
environment variables set so make sure that
   works ok too.

    Just a note:  Even though NFS is one of the ways to get multiple
host info updated. I think you need to look at
    setting up a server/client transport that is mangaed a lot better
than having users setup NFS. That is a lot of
    overhead to deal with on the network.

*** Phillip B. Bruce                                     ***
*** http://pbbruce.home.mindspring.com                   ***
*** pbbruce at mindspring.com                               ***
*** "Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than    ***
*** you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you    ***
*** is a maniac." - George Carlin                        ***