[Orca-users] Re: Oracle Database

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Oct 18 10:10:57 PDT 2001

"Phillip B. Bruce" wrote:
> Blair,
>
>     Their is one more alternative that you guys need to try.
>
>     Look at this site:   http://curl.haxx.se/
>
>     This is a technique that Content Management Software such as
> Vignette and Blue Martini
>     uses. I think this will be more effective than the others that  you
> have listed.

How would this be set up?  From Curl's home page:

        Curl is a tool for transferring files with URL syntax,
        supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FILE
        and LDAP. Curl supports HTTPS certificates, HTTP POST, HTTP
        PUT, FTP uploading, kerberos, HTTP form based upload, proxies,
        cookies, user+password authentication, file transfer resume,
        http proxy tunneling and a busload of other useful tricks.

To get the files from the host running orcallator.se to the host running
Orca could be done in several ways:

1) Set up FTP or HTTP server on the host running orcallator.se and the
   Orca host would do a GET to the file.  And then the host running
   orcallator.se would need to delete the file and somehow know that the
   Orca host got the file.
2) Have a FTP or HTTP server on the Orca host and the hosts running
   orcallator.se would push the files to the Orca hosts.

These seem like overkill to simply transfer files around and introduce a raft
of security issues.

Is there something else that Curl does that makes this easy?  How do Vignette
and Blue Martini do file transfers with Curl?