[Orca-users] Re: Oracle Database

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat Oct 20 00:54:31 PDT 2001

"Phillip B. Bruce" wrote:

> Blair Zajac wrote:
>
> > "Phillip B. Bruce" wrote:
> > > Blair,
> > >
> > >     Their is one more alternative that you guys need to try.
> > >
> > >     Look at this site:   http://curl.haxx.se/
> > >
> > >     This is a technique that Content Management Software such as
> > > Vignette and Blue Martini
> > >     uses. I think this will be more effective than the others that
> > you
> > > have listed.
> >
> > How would this be set up?  From Curl's home page:
> >
> >         Curl is a tool for transferring files with URL syntax,
> >         supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FILE
> >         and LDAP. Curl supports HTTPS certificates, HTTP POST, HTTP
> >         PUT, FTP uploading, kerberos, HTTP form based upload, proxies,
> >
> >         cookies, user+password authentication, file transfer resume,
> >         http proxy tunneling and a busload of other useful tricks.
> >
> > To get the files from the host running orcallator.se to the host
> > running
> > Orca could be done in several ways:
> >
> > 1) Set up FTP or HTTP server on the host running orcallator.se and the
> >
> >    Orca host would do a GET to the file.  And then the host running
> >    orcallator.se would need to delete the file and somehow know that
> > the
> >    Orca host got the file.
> > 2) Have a FTP or HTTP server on the Orca host and the hosts running
> >    orcallator.se would push the files to the Orca hosts.
> >
> > These seem like overkill to simply transfer files around and introduce
> > a raft
> > of security issues.
> >
> > Is there something else that Curl does that makes this easy?  How do
> > Vignette
> > and Blue Martini do file transfers with Curl?
> >
> > Blair
>
> Blair,
>
>       I think that the statement below makes it very clear:
>
>                        Curl is a tool for transferring files with URL
> syntax,
>         supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FILE
>         and LDAP. Curl supports HTTPS certificates, HTTP POST, HTTP
>         PUT, FTP uploading, kerberos, HTTP form based upload, proxies,
>         cookies, user+password authentication, file transfer resume,
>         http proxy tunneling and a busload of other useful tricks.
>
>    The curl method used in vignette and blue martini software is what
>    allows the webmaster to submitt to the webserver and other users
>    as well. If you notice this support common protocols and secured
> protocols.
>    You could transfer the html content of all the graphics and the
> percol's
>    files to the webservers and you can specific other ports than the
> common
>    ports that are used as long they are freed up. This technique is much
>
>    better than NFS'ing those file system across the network.
>
>    With this same philosphy you can do the same technique with orca.

If a machine already has a web or FTP server on it and orcallator.se can
dump files there and a remote process can use curl to get it, than that's
great.

This could be useful with sites, but in my experience, if there's no running
FTP or HTTP server, than its easier to use NFS.

Do Vinette and Blue Martini use the same web server that people use to get
normal web content or do they run a separate web server for transfering and
pushing content?

However, we could use a description of this method for Orca.  If you have
the time and interest, I would appreciate it if you would write a short file
describing in detail how one would set this up.

Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> - Perl & sysadmin services for hire
OS & web analysis - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/