[Orca-users] Re: running make after configure

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sun Oct 21 18:12:27 PDT 2001

tburke at timebridge.com wrote:
> # make
> cd packages && make CFLAGS=-g -O2
> make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/orca-0.26/packages'
> cd Digest-MD5-2.09 && /orca/bin/perl Makefile.PL
> Testing alignment requirements for U32... u32align.c:9: EXTERN.h: No
> such file or directory
> u32align.c:10: perl.h: No such file or directory
> Can't compile test program
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
>
> Error: Unable to locate installed Perl libraries or Perl source code.
>
> It is recommended that you install perl in a standard location before
> building extensions. Some precompiled versions of perl do not contain
> these header files, so you cannot build extensions. In such a case,
> please build and install your perl from a fresh perl distribution. It
> usually solves this kind of problem.
>
> (You get this message, because MakeMaker could not find
> "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/sun4-solaris/CORE/perl.h")
>
> It seems like it still wants to go to /usr/local/lib.
>
> Any suggestions.  I'm trying to find where the Makefile is that
> contains this path. Perhps I can change it by hand.
>
> Mike

Mike,

It'll be really hard to modify all of the files to have your particular
Perl installation think it belongs in /orca instead of /usr/local.

I would download and install one of the Perl Solaris binaries from

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/download.plex

These are designed to be installed anywhere.

Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> - Perl & sysadmin services for hire