[Orca-users] Re: Orca using multiple CPUs

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Oct 26 09:39:37 PDT 2001

Jesse Becker wrote:

> To take a slightly different angle on this question, are there any releases
> of Orca that can be distributed across multiple CPUs?  I've got a 6-way
> SuperSparc running orca that has one CPU pegged, and the other five idle...
>
> Thanks. :)
>
> --- paulhar at parthus.com wrote:
> > I am currently running 0.24, do any of the later releases draw a
> > graph per
> > CPU, or state the number of CPUs, for example on a 8 CPU Sun (Solaris)
> > Enterprise 4500?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Paul

Paul,

The only way to do this is to have the hosts that Orca is plotted broken
into groups and have separate processes handle each group.  I did this
at GeoCities where we had 200 servers.

When you do this, you need to edit the find_files parameter and change

	find_files              @ORCALLATOR_DIR@/(.*)

to something like

	find_files              @ORCALLATOR_DIR@/(www.*)

if you wanted to just plot your www hosts.

Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> - Perl & sysadmin services for hire