[Orca-users] Re: input record ... too long

nikitelli n.kraus at 3beg.at
Mon Jan 21 00:11:01 PST 2002

--- In orca-users at y..., Blair Zajac <blair at o...> wrote:
> Rusty Carruth wrote:
> >
> > "nikitelli" <n.kraus at 3...> wrote:
> > >
> > > thanks for your review Rusty.
> > > However, since the collection runs nonetheless still smoothly
I'll
> > > leave it at that for now.
> > >
> > You are right, in fact, I probably should have ended with that -
> > if the graphs make sense, since we're pretty sure you only lost
> > one sample (if you don't get those messages any more), then you're
> > probably fine.
> >
> > rc
>
> The first message
>
>     Warning: file `.../orcallator/host1/orcallator-2001-11-06-000'
>     did exist and is now gone
>
> is covered by the FAQ and isn't terribly important.  You won't
loose any
> data over it.
>
> The second message comes from nawk
>
>     /bin/nawk: input record `root    4383  0.0 ...' too long
>
> is in the start_orcallator script when its looking for already
running
> orcallator.se processes to decide if it should start or just quit.
There
> was a process that must have had extremely long command line
arguments for
> nawk to complain about the line length (check for PID 4383 if its
still
> running).
>
> Neither orcallator.se nor Orca use {n,m,g,}awk, so you didn't loose
any
> data here either.
>
> Best,
> Blair
>
> --
> Blair Zajac <blair at o...>
> Web and OS performance plots - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/

yes, you're right Blair in saying that there's a process 4383 which
has a significant long line:

    root  4383     1  0   Jan 18 ?        3:31
/usr/opt/SUNWesm/java/jre/bin/../bin/sparc/native_threads/java
-Dsecurity.provi

SUNWesm is the StorEdge Management Services Installation Package and
has nothing to do with orca.

Regards,
Nick