[Orca-users] Re: graphs not updating (although the data is) on a sol 2.8 host

orcausers lsaladi at uillinois.edu
Mon May 27 11:21:03 PDT 2002

--- In orca-users at y..., Blair Zajac <blair at o...> wrote:
> "Saladin, Miki" wrote:
> >
> > >       After I included the following in the orcallator script -
> > >       WEB_LOG="/usr/apache/logs/access_log"
> > >       WATCH_WEB="-DWATCH_WEB"
> > >       WEB_SERVER="/usr/apache/bin/httpd"
> > >       export WEB_LOG WEB_SERVER WATCH_WEB
>
> I would change WEB_SERVER to httpd so it can find the web server
> process name.  WEB_SERVER does not need to be the complete path to
> the web server program.
>
> > >       As per some emails in this forum - I did remove the rrd
files for
> > > this server - still no updating since the above change to the
orcallator
> > > collector. I also (in another moment if magical thinking) -
emptied the
> > > /orca/orca_html/hostname directory for this host - nothing.
>
> So just to be clear, the only change you made was to one machine and
> you changed the start_orcallator script and the data stopped showing
> up?
>
> Which version of orcallator.se are you using?
>
> What are the format of the output files that orcallator.se is
generating?
> Do they contain -DDD where D is a digit 0-9?
>
> Blair
>
> --
> Blair Zajac <blair at o...>
> Web and OS performance plots - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/

point by point -
- I started out with WEB_SERVER=httpd - the graph is always zeros
despite the fact that ps -aef | grep httpd always returns a minimun of
10 httpd processes. But I certainly will change it back to just httpd.
We are using apache.
- your ? about just to be clear - what you describe is correct.
- 3.2.1
- if you are asking me about the format of the name of the output
files - here is what they are -
  percol-2002-05-15.gz  percol-2002-05-20.gz  percol-2002-05-25.gz
percol-2002-05-16.gz  percol-2002-05-21.gz  percol-2002-05-26.gz
percol-2002-05-17.gz  percol-2002-05-22.gz  percol-2002-05-27
percol-2002-05-18.gz  percol-2002-05-23.gz
percol-2002-05-19.gz  percol-2002-05-24.gz

I need to let you know that the orca data for this server resumed
being updated friday at midnight - when it would have rolled over to
a new percol file for Saturday. that's great but doesn't help me
understand what happened - maybe it does not like the contents of
what it is collecting changed within the interval of one percol file.

I will make the change to the WEB_SERVER var and restart orcallator.

Thanks much for the input and on a holiday weekend no less!