[Orca-users] Re: data files

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue May 28 13:22:20 PDT 2002

mbanker1966 wrote:

> Once orca has converted the data files into rrd's and html files, is
> there any need to keep the raw data?  Does it continually reference
> the data files?  Just wondering if we can ditch old data...
>
> Thanks.

>From the FAQ:

 3.16) Why should I keep my compressed percol-* or orcallator-* files?

       There are several reasons to keep the data files:

       1) If the RRD files get screwed up, you'll be able to
          regenerate them.

       2) If Orca ever needs to change the internal format of the RRD
          files, it'll need to regenerate them.

       3) If you ever want to look at older data in the RRD files, the
          older data has less resolution.  For example, if you want to
          look at data, say 6 months old, in the RRD files, it is
          averaged over a whole day.  You won't be able to get the 5
          minute data generated by orcallator.se.

          Here's the resolution of the data in the RRD files (here
          RRA is Round Robin Archive and there can be many in one RRD
          file) as defined in lib/Orca/Constants.pm

          # The first RRA is every 5 minutes for 200 hours, the second
          # is every 30 minutes for 31 days, the third is every 2
          # hours for 100 days, and the last is every day for 3 years.