[Orca-users] Re: Q: Default permissions for the web repository in Solaris

izsun izsun at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 18:46:34 PST 2002

--- In orca-users at y..., Sean O'Neill <sean at s...> wrote:

> >Every night, the permissions for 'group' and 'other' get
> >nullified and so I have to have a cronjob that
> >essentially undoes that affect by doing:
> >
> >14 * * * * /bin/chmod -R a+rx /export/home/iz/HTML

I have Orca and orcallator.se running for a few days now, without
restarting them.

> Can you be a bit more specific ?  What do you mean by "nullified" ?

What I mean is that permissions of the web repository (HTML dir.)
and files in it become '600' instead of '655' (as I've set them once)

> I think you mean you have Orca running as one user but the "content"
> directory where your Orca stuff is written to in your webserver area
is
> owned by another user - I think.

I have Orca and orcallator.se both running as 'root'.

>  All
> my Orca stuff runs as "perfboy" - nothing for my Orca runs as root.
>
> Apache runs as nobody.  Everything else in my docroot area is owned
by
> root.  This way Apache can't do anything "funny" with it.

I'll verify who owns the directory just above 'HTML', but
from experience doubt that this would force files to be
'600' when they're regenerated at midnight.

I guess I need a better understanding of what is exactly
happening at midnight with Orca ... <?>

Thanks all for responses. I am amazed at the speed, accuracy
and support on this group ;-)

-I