[Orca-users] Stopping 'file did exist and is now gone' message(s).

isaac r. izsun at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 23 17:14:01 PST 2002

--- Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:

> > How about using the localtime call and rewriting
> the patch?
>
> Actually, thinking about it more, what I'd like Orca
> to do is
> to check if there are compressed versions of the
> filename (i.e.
> check if filename.{Z,gz,bz2} exists and if it was
> created in the
> last X minutes.  Otherwise, complain.  This way, if
> there is a
> real error around midnight, then it won't be
> ignored.  In fact,
> most errors could occur at midnight if something
> goes wrong with
> the compression of the file.

I thought about this; the algorithm would be indeed
different if examination of compressed files would be
addressed.  One would be faced with verifying the
directory where the compressed file lives (or assuming
its the same  directory).

But your point is well taken - we don't want real
midnight-related errors to be ignored by a simple
'hour' check.

If you are choosing a compression, you would have to
verify the directory, make some assumptions about most
commonly known compressed versions of the file.

Any way you slice it, you're back at the real problem
of
no longer having your raw data file that your file
descriptor points to.

A *complete* patch would need to be done well. And I
agree, using internal calls is preferred over forking
an additional process and undertaking all of the work
that goes along with it.

As time allows, I'll work something out. But as we all
know, a good hack is ...just a good hack, until it
gets a higher priority in the neverending queue of
daily routines ....

Regards,
-I