[Orca-users] Successful ORCA user

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Aug 20 09:51:53 PDT 2003

Rajesh Verma wrote:

> Thanks to Blair Zajac and Cyril Jaouich, for providing the tool for Sun
> and AIX.
> I was able to succesfully get the data from server and send it to
> central server and get the graphs.
>
> I am able to use rsync to copy the data to the web server. But I am not
> able to run the rsync command using CRONTAB.
> its gives error. If I run from commandline it works find using ssh.
>
> If any one knows how to make rsync work using crontab, I will be a
> happy man.

You run ssh-agent and create a public/private keypair so that when
the user that runs rsync wants to ssh into the other host, it can
do so.  The ssh process will talk to ssh-agent, get the credentials
it needs to log into the other host.

I do this myself.  A very handy tool to use is keychain

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/keychain.xml

which you run in your .cshrc or .profile upon login.

Read the pages

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-keyc.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-keyc2/
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-keyc3/

to learn how to set this up.

The only time then you need to enter a password is when the system
reboots or when you manually kill the ssh-agent process.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/