[orca-users] Re: Graphing Very Low Freq. Data

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Jan 3 12:53:13 PST 2003

orca at cwe.com wrote:

> I believe the answer lies in the consolidation funciton used by rrd.
> >From the man page....
>
> The data is also consolidated with the consolidation function ( CF)
> of the archive. The following consolidation functions are defined:
> AVERAGE, MIN, MAX, LAST.
>
> I notice that when I build an rrd the following is displayed...
>
> Creating RRD `rrd_dir/KINGS_DAIRY_Total_X_1.0_per_1000.rrd' with
> options -b 946748222 -s 86400 DS:Orca19990222:GA
> UGE:172800:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:1098.
>
> I believe the key word there is AVERAGE. I am hoping that setting the
> consolidation funtion to MAX will fix things...or at least make
> a difference. Can anyone tell me how I go about doing that. from
> within ORCA? I am sure I will find it eventually :-) When I do and if
> it works I will let you know.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to change the consolidation function.
You'll need to do the following:

1) Stop Orca.
2) Edit Orca's source file lib/Orca/RRDFile.pm and replace the AVERAGE
   with MAX in all location.
3) Delete all of your rrd files.
4) Start Orca.  It'll regenerate all of the rrd files using the new
   consolidation function.

Happy New Year!

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/