[Orca-users] re: more info: dead zone on all graphs at same time

Paul Chevalier epc002 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 00:42:59 PST 2003

Jeff,

I've run across a couple of situations that produce
"dead zones", here's some info that might help.

1: If the blank bands are only on cpu, check if the
system has a lot of idle time during the banding.
Occasionally on Solaris 8 systems, SE/orcallator
records idle% at just over 100%, The default
orcallator.cfg cpu parameters declare anything over
100% invalid, and plot nothing for that timeslot.
Check the orca-dev list, Feb 21 2002, for a workaround
I submitted. I've been using that workaround since
then on several hundred Solaris 8 systems, and it's
also eliminated the blank cpu banding when recreating
archived graphs.

2: Another situation we've seen produce blank banding
for all datasets on a Solaris 8 system involves a
change in devices. Orcallator normally handles
mount/unmount of disks by putting a new header in the
logfile to reflect the change in devices. When Sun's
Instant Image tool performs a dependant snapshot, it
unmounts and remounts the shadow volume(a few minutes
duration). Orcallator should handle that, but what
we've seen is that all the data in the current log
file is lost when the log file is turned. Our
workaround for now is to just restart orcallator a few
minutes before the snapshot event, minimizing the data
loss.

You've probably already done this, but check if the
log files have gaps in the data, or mismatched
header/dataset.

Hope this helps.
Paul