[Orca-users] richpse tookit 3.3 - monlog on sol 2.8

Saladin, Miki lsaladi at uillinois.edu
Tue Jul 15 11:23:34 PDT 2003

since my upgrade to 3.3, the following types of messages have started to be
sent to all logged on users - much to their dismay -

		bannerdev.aits.uillinois.edu ID[RICHPse.monlog.2000]: [ID
782760 local0.emerg] Disk state red entered, Action: Move load from busy
disks to idle disks

		Message from syslogd at bannerdev.aits.uillinois.edu at Tue Jul
15 09:04:17 2003 ...
		bannerdev.aits.uillinois.edu ID[RICHPse.monlog.2000]: [ID
271246 local0.emerg] DNLC state amber entered, Action: Poor DNLC hitrate

		Message from syslogd at bannerdev.aits.uillinois.edu at Tue Jul
15 09:06:17 2003 ...
		bannerdev.aits.uillinois.edu ID[RICHPse.monlog.2000]: [ID
441464 local0.emerg] Disk state green entered, Action: No worries, mate

		Message from syslogd at bannerdev.aits.uillinois.edu at Tue Jul
15 09:08:18 2003 ...
		bannerdev.aits.uillinois.edu ID[RICHPse.monlog.2000]: [ID
228042 local0.emerg] DNLC state green entered, Action: No worries, mate

		the more senior staff in the unix group report the following
is the cause -

		"From what Mark and I can see it appears the actual new se
binary has a problem with it that isn't using the "LOG_ERR" that is called
all over the place in /opt/RICHPse/examples/monlog.se (the offending
program)."

		they think they want to know ' Can we find out how to change
how the virtual adrian process notifies syslog (facility=local0
severity=emerg to something like facility=local0 severity=debug) and/or
change the syslog.conf to mask this stuff from the users?"

		we changed in syslog.conf
		from

		*.emerg                         *
		*.emerg;local0.none                             *

		any comments from anyone who is maybe having the same
problem ?
		is it really a bug in the binary as they think?