[Orca-users] Having Fits compiling orca-0.27b3

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Jul 25 12:49:43 PDT 2003

Edward.Janowiak at cexp.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have successfully run Orca in other environments, but for some reason am
> having difficulties here. I have /usr/ccs/bin in my path, but I get the
> following error's with my make:
>
> cd packages
> make CFLAGS=-g -O2 || exit 1
> cd TimeDate-1.14 && make OPTIMIZE="-g -O2"
> cd rrdtool-1.0.40 && ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/orca
> --with-html-dir=/usr/local/apache/htdocs/orca
> --with-ncsa-log=/usr/local/apache/logs/access_log
> --cache-file=../../config.cache
> checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
> checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
> checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
> checking for a BSD compatible install... config/install-sh -c
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking for working aclocal... missing
> checking for working autoconf... missing
> checking for working automake... missing
> checking for working autoheader... missing
> checking for working makeinfo... missing
> checking for perl... /usr/local/bin/perl
> checking for shared library extension... so
> checking for the C compiler perl wants to use to build its modules...
> ./configure: test: unknown operator -B/usr/ccs/bin/
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `rrdtool-1.0.40/config.status'
> Current working directory /var/tmp/orca-0.27b3/packages
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

Which Perl are you using?  Do you have gcc installed?

It looks like you have a version of Perl that may not be Sun's,
but you don't have the compiler your Perl was compiled with on
the system.

Run

% /usr/local/bin/perl -MConfig -wle 'print $Config{cc}'

and make sure this compiler is on your system.

BTW, I would recommend installing either the ActiveState binary Perl
or the sunfreeware.com one before doing this.  The Sun Perl assumes
you have Sun's cc around, which most people don't.  These other
two Perl's use gcc, so the RRDtool compiles just fine.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/