[Orca-users] Seg Fault on 2 Sunfire 280's

Big Chuck ccarson at echeeba.com
Wed Jul 30 17:19:36 PDT 2003

Blair Zajac wrote:
> Big Chuck wrote:
>
>>I am installing Orca 0.27 on all my Solaris machine. I happen to have 2
>>280's that are both Oracle databases. When I try to run
>>start_orcallator, it seg faults:
>>
>>db-0201:~ #/etc/rc3.d/S99orcallator start
>>Writing data into /mnt/orca/var/orcallator/db-0201/
>>Starting logging
>>Sending output to nohup.out
>>9915 Segmentation Fault
>>
>>The machines are identical in packages/patch levels too 3 other 280's
>>that do not have this problem.
>>
>>I am using Perl 5.8.0
>>I installed the latest versions of all perl modules required
>>I am using SE Toolkit 3.3
>>I am using rrdtool 1.0.45
>>
>>I am at a loss. I can find no different on these machines other than the
>>fact that the working machines on running Veritas Foundation Suite and
>>the two databases are running Database Edition for Oracle. (thus not a
>>whole hell of a lot of difference)
>>
>>Any ideas?
>

> Look for any oddly named filesystem devices in /dev and /devices.  They
> may need to be removed.
>
> Also, you can run orcallator.se with -d and you'll get debugging output
> which will be useful to see where it crashes.
>
> Best,
> Blair

Database Edition for Oracle creates the following:

df -k
Device	    Size (k)	Used	Avail   Pct    Mount Point
/dev/null   0           0       0       0%     /dev/odm

Could this be the culprint?

Here is my devices directory:
db-0201:/devices #ls -al
total 22
drwxr-xr-x   5 root     sys          512 Dec 20  2002 .
drwxr-xr-x  27 root     root         512 Jul 30 12:15 ..
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           8 Dec 20  2002 devices -> /devices
crw-------   1 root     sys      158,  0 Dec 20  2002
memory-controller at 0,400000:mc-us3
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     sys          512 Dec 20  2002 pci at 8,600000
crw-------   1 root     sys      109,  1 Dec 20  2002 pci at 8,600000:devctl
drwxr-xr-x   5 root     sys          512 Jul 27 10:12 pci at 8,700000
crw-------   1 root     sys      109,  0 Dec 20  2002 pci at 8,700000:devctl
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     sys         6144 Jul 27 09:19 pseudo

/dev has too many entries to list but nothing looked odd during a
cursory glance.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
CC