[Orca-users] SE Toolkit

Jason.Santos at aps.com Jason.Santos at aps.com
Thu Nov 13 14:36:39 PST 2003

Fellow Orca-users:

While perusing Sun's BigAdmin site, this document caught my eye:
http://www.sun.com/blueprints/1003/817-3835.pdf

Page 3 (5 of the PDF) has the following warning:

---------
Caution -- Do not run SE in a production environment.  It is ok to run
it in a development or test environment.  If you have to run SE in a
production environment, run it as a non-root user.
---------

I deployed Orca across our enterprise (75+ servers) more than 6 months
ago, and all the systems are running orcallator (and thus, SE) as root
(and without any issues, I might add!).

Is anyone running SE toolkit as another user?  Are there any issues with
some data not being available as root?  I believe the latest SE (I'm
running 3.3) uses mostly the kstat interface, which I know is available
to all users.

Before I have to go login to a bunch of servers to modify the config, I
wanted to know if there were any other issues.

Thanks!

--
Jason Santos
Sr. Unix System Administrator