[Orca-users] Anyone using Orca with rsync?

Sean O'Neill sean at seanoneill.info
Tue Oct 7 08:27:52 PDT 2003

Yeah, NFS is a total pain for more reasons then just
security.

rsync is the way to go.  By default, it uses SSH as
it's transport application vs. RSH.  Don't use RSH for
the obvious reasons.

To get SSH working, use key authentication - at least
that's how I do it.  But you need to really think
about what this means in regards to security.  First,
your security group is probably going to be nervous
about anything that allows for unattended
password'less access between servers.  But you also
need to figure out if you want to PUSH or PULL your
Orca data.

If you have a ORCA server that SSH's into the remote
systems and rsync's down the data (e.g. PULL), this
one machine would have SSH access to LOTS of other
systems and would probably make any security group
very nervous about that machine.

If you have the remote systems rsync their data to the
ORCA server (e.g. PUSH), then you have lots of other
machines with SSH access to ONE system.  This
generally makes security a /little/ less nervous.

Some folks on the list have multiple Orca servers
because of the system resources required by Orca.  Its
a CPU/memory hog at times.  Also, pushing data into a
box is generally an asynchronous activity (from the
Orca server's point of view) so it will take in as
many as the box will support.

If the Orca server is PULLING data, you need some
script to keep track of what systems to pull data
from, have logic to make it less serial to get the
data down faster, etc etc - e.g. its more of a
headache IMHO.

Opppss - babbling again ... sorry

--- "Garrett, Matt M SITI-ITDIEEE"