[Orca-users] Threaded perl + Orca?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Oct 9 13:20:22 PDT 2003

"Cohen, Joel" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to see if there would be anything done with Orca on the threaded
> perl front. I have about 60 servers being monitored with Orca and it's
> getting to the point that my graphs are over an hour behind. Since the
> machine I run Orca on has multiple cpus, I wondered if having a threaded
> perl would give me any benefit.

Hi Joel,

Not easily for sure.  It would take a huge rewrite of the code.

For now, consider breaking up your servers into logical groups and
using different Orca configuration files to select each group via
a regular expression in the find_files setting.

This isn't ideal, but for now, it's the only way.

Given you work for a financial instution, and I hear they through
a lot of money at hardware to keep on the latest edge, maybe they
would be willing to fund a threaded version of Orca :)

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/