[Orca-users] Help a newbie out

Brian F. brian at cv.net
Sun Apr 4 08:03:40 PDT 2004

> Here's no easy way to tell Orca to read time besides using the
> Unix epoch time and the last modified time of the input file.
>
> In your case, you'll definitely need to add another column.  It
> shouldn't be that hard.  Since you already know the day and the
> hour, you can use the Time::Local perl module to get the Unix
> epoch time:
>
> NAME
>        Time::Local - efficiently compute time from local and GMT time
>
> SYNOPSIS
>            $time = timelocal($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year);
>            $time = timegm($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year);
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        These routines are the inverse of built-in perl functions
localtime()
>        and gmtime().  They accept a date as a six-element array, and
return
>        the corresponding time(2) value in seconds since the system epoch
(Mid-
>        night, January 1, 1970 UTC on Unix, for example).  This value can
be
>        positive or negative, though POSIX only requires support for
positive
>        values, so dates before the system's epoch may not work on all
operat-
>        ing systems.
>
> Just fill in each field and get the time.  I would use timegm, since
> I believe RRDtool works in GMT.
>
> Best,
> Blair
>
> --
> Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com>
> Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/

Thanks for the help!
It's working now, but i still have some questions about orca.
I'll give you my config and the data it's loading to lookat.
data file is /tmp/attempt1.txt

# cat /tmp/attempt1.txt
1081004510 00 29073
1081008110 01 51311
1081011710 02 48265
1081015310 03 52900
1081018910 04 44435
1081022510 05 42281
1081026110 06 49213
1081029710 07 53024
1081033310 08 50539
1081036910 09 55859
1081040510 10 57808
1081044110 11 67630
1081047710 12 52800
1081051310 13 61272
1081054910 14 54595
1081058510 15 55965
1081062110 16 64457
1081065710 17 69234
1081069310 18 52166
1081072910 19 59156
1081076510 20 50799
1081080110 21 53125
1081083710 22 56682
1081087310 23 58799

Config is mta.cfg

#REQUIRED OPTIONS
state_file /opt/orca/cfg/state.log
html_dir /var/data/htdocs/stats
rrd_dir /var/data/htdocs/stats/rrd
base_dir /opt/orca

#GENERAL OPTIONS

#GROUP OPTIONS
group MTA1 {
find_files /tmp/attempt1.txt
column_description time hour messages
date_source column_name time
interval 3600
}

#PLOT OPTIONS
plot {
source MTA1
title MTA1
data Messages
data_type ABSOLUTE
data_min 0
data_max 100000
required 1
color ff0000
line_type AREA
plot_width 600
plot_height 250
y_legend Messages
}

I'm not able to get the color to change, or to get the graph to fill with
the line_type AREA option.
Also my y_legend isn't displaying the current data. It's displaying what i
had specified earlier.

Any ideas on what i'm doing wrong?
Sorry about being a pest.
:)