[Orca-users] TCP Retransmissions

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Apr 6 10:22:28 PDT 2004

G.Horak at mobilkom.at wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'v the following question to the retransmission
>
> Why is't possible to get values larger than 100
>
> plot {
> title                   %g TCP Retransmission & Duplicate Received
> Percentage
> source                  orcallator
> data                    tcp_Ret%
> data                    tcp_Dup%
> line_type               line1
> line_type               line1
> legend                  Retransmission
> legend                  Duplicate received
> y_legend                Percent
> data_min                0
> data_max               200  --------------------<<<< I mean this
> href
> http://www.orcaware.com/orca/docs/orcallator.html#TCP_retransmission_duplica
> te_received_percentage
> }
>
> Some machines in our environment are reporting a very high retransmission
> rate, greater than 4000.

That's odd.  This is a percentage of incoming and outgoing bytes
that were recieved or sent, so it should max out at 100%.

I would look through the orcallator.se code and the SE code that
generates these results to see what the exact math is that's
going on.

It would be interesting to double check if it's retransmitted
and duplicate bytes or packets that is measured.  In any case,
they should be less then 100%.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/