[Orca-users] Orca for AIX

Rajesh Verma Rajesh.Verma at PalmettoHealth.org
Tue Apr 6 11:34:08 PDT 2004

Hi David,

Network Statistics: As I remember I stopped using that due to some isuue, may be it was the same issue. So I am using MRTG for network statistic using snmp.

Disk wide transfer rate: It working fine for me.. hmmm but wait a min there are few server which are showing 150G transfer rate.. those are AIX 5.2 server .. I have to look into this.

For TSM : I run this script only on the TSM server, yes user/password can be put into configurable parameter.
and for user/password as view , we have setup this for us, it shuld be changed as per your user/password.
"query mount" should show the drive mounted. query cmd should work. you got to check.

Thanks

Rajesh

>>> "David Michaels" <dragon at raytheon.com> 4/6/2004 1:25:01 PM >>>
Rajesh --

I've tried out your scripts, and they seem to work pretty well, but
there's a few things I'm seeing that don't look right, and I'm curious
if you get different results on your machines.  It could be an AIX
version issue.  We're running 5.1 here.

    o Network statistics (packets/second, bits/second, errors/second)
are all zero on the graphs.  I compared your scripts data output to
those from a Sun host, and it seems that the Sun data records the number
of packets/errors/bits since the previous record entry, while yours
reports the total number of packets/errors/bits since the counters were
last zero'ed.  Evidently, Orca doesn't like those numbers, so the graphs
it produces are all data-less.  The orcallator.cfg files you attached
had the network portions commented out, so I used the one from the Sun
orcallator.cfg file, that specifies a min data of 0 and a max of
whatever--the rest is the same, though, so the lack of data showing up
on the graph I conclude has to do with the way the data is represented
as total rather than delta.
    o The "Disk System Wide Transfer Rate" has the same problem, but
data shows up on that graph -- it reports total, not per-second, so the
number keeps climbing (presently, mine is at 1.4 Terabytes -- I think my
customer would like to see that data rate, but I don't think my disks
are quite that fast ;).
    o The username/password for the dsmadmc command should probably be
put into a configurable parameter, since it shows up 3 times in the
file, and I don't think there's a standard view-only username/password
to use.
    o the 'query mount' command on my system returns an error "No match
found using this criteria."  I'm not familiar with TSM, so I'm not sure
if this just means I have no mounts configured to query, or if it's an
error in the query string itself, or what.  Is this a benign error, or
is it a problem?

Thoughts?

--Dragon

--
     Dave ``Dragon'' Michaels       |   "I wonder what news is doing..."
    Raytheon  IS Unix Engineer      | news at newshost <29> ps -fu news
                                    |      "News is making history."

PALMETTO HEALTH CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately.