[Orca-users] Orca on Panther

Scott Stoddard stoddards at apple.com
Mon Aug 16 14:29:14 PDT 2004

I've been running Orca on several Mac OS X 10.2.x (Jaguar) servers with
a data gathering tool called Macollator for over a year now and
everything has been running great. Now however, I tried running the
same installation on my Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) box (actually last
March, just getting around to fixing this!) which has Perl 5.8.1
installed and (it seems to me anyway) a built in RRDs module. So
anyway, first off the script won't work. So a Perl expert I know (I am
NOT one) said I had to recompile the script and maybe the modules for
the new version of Perl. Cool. So I visit orcaware.com and get the 0.27
build. Configure runs okay, but make fails. I stumble around and find a
note by Blair saying he fixed a few things and among them is perl
bindings on OS X. Cool, so I go get the trunk from his subversion (as
directed, I thought) and I innocently run autogen.sh to get a configure
script, then I try it with the same --with-html-dir= etc etc... and
configure dies when it starts trying to work the rrdtool stuff, telling
me I need Autoconf 2.58 or higher.

I can't find an Autoconf 2.58 for OS X. Can anybody help me? Fink
offers an Autoconf 2.54... is that good enough? Do I need anything
else? Am I even on the right track? Has anybody ever configured and
installed Orca on a Mac OS X 10.3.x?