[Orca-users] AIX monitors for Orca

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Mon Aug 23 11:20:19 PDT 2004

I've looked at the data files that nmon spits out.  They're definitely
designed for spreadsheet processing -- parsing through them to generate
orcallated data using perl and/or unix toolkits is going to be a bear.
They're also /enormous/ data files, by comparison.  I think the aix
orcallator that Rajesh contributed a few months ago that we've been
tweaking is going to be more productive, and will ultimately represent
the same data.  Also, I think nmon requires a lot more overhead than a
perl script would -- I don't think it's designed to run 24x7 as SOP, but
rather, to be run during specific intervals while you're trying to fix
an already-identified performance problem.

Rajesh - do you know whether nmon is part of the standard AIX OS
install, or is it a separate (cost? free?) product that must be
specifically installed by the user for monitoring purposes?

--Dragon

Blair Zajac wrote:

> Rajesh Verma wrote:
>
>> Blair,
>>
>> Did you receive the 2 files I sent you. If you can use the data and
>> create the graph using orca, that would be great.
>>
>> Please let us know if you need more data to work on.
>>
>> -Rajesh
>>

> Hi Rajesh,
>
> You mean the 18 Mbyte email?  Yes, I got the files.
>
> I won't have any time to work on the AIX data gatherer integration
> with Orca, so if an AIX user wants to work on this, let me know.
>
> Regards,
> Blair

	Raytheon

	*David P. Michaels*
Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer II W.H.
NPOESS IS
Platform OS Unix
303.344.6840
720.858.5952 fax