[Orca-users] too many open files issue

Stoltzfus, Mark (HQP) Mark.Stoltzfus at rhi.com
Wed Jul 7 11:22:01 PDT 2004

I've googled for the answer to my current orca issue, which is that I'm
getting errors such as this:

./orca: warning: cannot create Orca::HTMLFile object: cannot open
`/www/sites/orca/html/orcallator/o_gold_gauge_qfe5Ipkt_per_s,__qfe5Opkt_per_
s.html.htm' for writing: Too many open files.

And I saw that about two years ago, this problem was discovered to be
specific to perl on Solaris, having to do with fopen().  I've tested the
perl code that was posted to the list on both Solaris and Tru64, and it only
hit the 256 descriptor limit on Solaris.  So, the question is, does anyone
know a way around this?  The solution mentioned on the FAQ doesn't fix this
(manually setting ulimit in the shell).

Thanks,

Mark