[Orca-users] Question regarding Statistical Calculations...

Jon Tankersley jon.tankersley at eds.com
Wed Jul 14 11:56:14 PDT 2004

This is a result of the rrdtool consolidation function that is used by
default by Orca - which is AVERAGE, so weekly is averaged again and drops
the peak value, as is monthly, yearly, etc.  We ran into this and have some
'hooks' that I'm trying to put together for Blair to allow you to specify in
the config line (instead of changing the source) how you want data to be
consolidated - currently with min, max, avg separately or all together or
max and avg together (our current default usage).  You then specify in the
plot section how you want to display the data.  I'm hoping to post it to
Blair fairly soon.

This also includes a change in the legend to make it clear that you are
using an average, min or max:
 % Usr        Curr Max:   20.091   Avg:  35.025   Min:  15.099   Max:
60.092
 % Usr        Curr Avg:   19.991   Avg:  34.714   Min:  15.099   Max:
64.012
 % Sys        Curr Max:    5.312   Avg:   8.127   Min:   2.091   Max:
12.209
 % Sys        Curr Avg:    5.102   Avg:   8.018   Min:   2.091   Max:
11.001

Here, the Curr XXX is the last data point (on the right of the graph) and
the other fields are the Avg, Min, and Max of the entire interval.
With this setup, the Weekly, Monthly, and Yearly graphs all have a retained
real peak.