[Orca-users] procallator documentation

David Devault DDevault at Elance.com
Thu Jul 29 16:58:28 PDT 2004

Hello Orca Users,

I've volunteered to help Blair with Orca.  One of the things needed currently is to create documentation for the procallator project.  We would really appreciate your assistance in providing any information about Orca for Linux.  This information will be used for documentation that will be included in the next Orca release.

Information needed:
Installation
 - Procedures
 - Tips
 - Headaches
 - Work-a-rounds for problems
 - Requirements for proper statistic gathering
 - Example cron entries
	- Example scripts (any scripts created to use procallator)
 - Example rc scripts
 - How to configure
 - Dependencies on other apps

Customization
 - Custom changes to procallator for your specific configuration
 - Cron entries
 - Additional Logging

Production
 - Performance info
 - Monitoring
 - Environment Layouts
 - One Orca statistic parser process server -> many orca statistic gathering servers

I know that there are many ways one can run this script which is why I will not focus on just using it one way.

A few ways to run procallator (Orca for Linux):

at jobs
cronjobs
run standalone as a daemon (may need some slight modifications)
run from remote server via ssh keys
spawn from other processes

There are many more possibilities I'm sure.  Let me know if your running orca in a special way or if your doing something that's not currently documented.

What I'm looking for is as much information you can provide about Procallator, how your using it and how its helping you.  The information that you provide will be bundled together and included in the next Orca release or added to the FAQ.

I am going through the mailing list archives and gathering information from my experiences.

Thanks for your help!
David

If you have a bug or problem for orca or procallator please submit it separately.