[Orca-users] RE: kernel contention

JV JV711 at socal.rr.com
Fri Mar 12 22:31:37 PST 2004

Kernel contention is easy to remedy:

You need FASTER
not more cpus or RAM.

Adrian Cockcroft's explaination (a bit dated, 98 is like a century ago):
http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonline/swol-08-1998/swol-08-perf.html

Newer OS (Solaris 9) probably wouldn't hurt. Well maybe that's not true. I
work my Ultra I like a sharecropper in the fields, I had to downgrade to
Solaris 8 + CDE from 9+Gnome to get a usable workstation back.

JV