[Orca-users] Netscape anomoly

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Thu May 27 10:24:21 PDT 2004

Schmitz Dale M Contr 20 IS/INPTG wrote:

> I'm running Orca on a Solaris 8 system, and everything's working fine
> for the most part.  My question has more to do with Netscape/s
> behavior when I pull up the Orca-generated graphs.  Somewhere in the
> html (I guess) is coded an attempt to connected with home.netscape.com
> <http://home.netscape.com/>, home6.netscape.com, and internic.net.
> Since the network I'm running is standalone, this results in an
> excessive wait until Netscape realizes it can't contact these sites.
>

> Does anyone know where this is coded, and can I remove it?  I've tried
> grepping the files for those entries, but no luck.

I see this all the time on a freshly installed/used Netscape on a
private network.  The problem is twofold:

   1. Netscape's default home page is home.netscape.com (or similar).
      Naturally, that's not going to work.  You'll want to reset the
      homepage to "blank" or something useful to you.  Edit ->
      Preferences -> Navigator should have a "Home Page" section (this
      is true for 4.x, 6.x, and 7.x, to my knowledge).  In Mozilla 1.6,
      there's a "Display On: <blah>  <list of options for what to do
      when <blah> happens>" section as well, so you can define what
      happens at startup, or when a new window is opened, or a new tab.
      In my experience, once you reset the homepage, the
      "home.netscape.com" errors go away.
   2. The first time Netscape comes up, in addition to going to the
      homepage, it probably tries to make a few other connections as well.

I have not specifically used Orca in a private environment, but if it
persistently does this whenever you look at an Orca page (but not when
you look at other pages), it probably has to do with the particular
customizations you've done to Orca and/or to Netscape.

--Dragon

--

	*David P. Michaels*
Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer II W.H.

"I wonder what news is doing..."

 news at newshost <29> ps -fu news
 news 18624 12367 2 0:00 makehistory

"News is making history."