[Orca-users] Open files problem with orca

Michael O'Dea modea at upocnetworks.com
Wed Oct 6 11:41:22 PDT 2004

Hi.

I am currently using 0.27 on a Sun 280r, running solaris 8. It's been working fine until I upgraded (was at 0.27b) now I seem to get this error every time it tries to write the index.html file:

st-servlet1/gauge_disk_runp_c0t6d0.rrd': Too many open files
Creating HTML files in `/opt/orca-0.27/html/'.
bin/orca: warning: cannot create Orca::HTMLFile object: cannot open `/opt/orca-0.27/html/index.html.htm' for writing: Too many open files.
Finding files and setting up data structures at Wed Oct  6 13:58:31 2004.
bin/orca: error: cannot opendir `/': Too many open files
bin/orca: warning: no files found for `find_files' for `group orcallator' in `lib/orcallator.cfg'.
bin/orca: error: cannot opendir `/': Too many open files
bin/orca: warning: no files found for `find_files' for `group qmail_overall' in `lib/orcallator.cfg'.
Current running time is 289:38 minutes.
bin/orca: no data files found.  Make sure `find_files' parameter is set properly.

and then dies.

I have monkied with ulimit (under bash) and have set a open file limit as low as 50, and this problem continues to happen.

bash-2.05$ ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)     0
data seg size (kbytes)      unlimited
file size (blocks)          unlimited
open files                  50
pipe size (512 bytes)       10
stack size (kbytes)         8192
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          29995
virtual memory (kbytes)     unlimited

I had a similar problem when I went from 0.26 to 0.27b, but resolved it by tweaking ulmit.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks!
-m

--
michael a. o'dea | director of operations | upoc networks
modea at upocnetworks.com | 212.405.1042 | upoc handle: fddi