[Orca-users] SE Toolkit 3.4 and Solaris 10

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sun Feb 13 20:05:46 PST 2005

Liston Bias wrote:

> I installed SE Toolkit 3.4 and latest orca snapshot on Sunfire 240
> running Solaris 10.  I ran into some issues, but it seems to be working
> well now although I haven't tried verifying the data in the graph yet.

Hi Liston,

Welcome back!  Haven't heard from you lately.  Thanks for testing the latest build.

> Snapshot used was r412 from:
>
>   http://www.orcaware.com/orca/pub/snapshots/
>

> 1)  When I installed, I get a file for lib/SE/3.4 instead of directory
> (the file looks like workinfo_class.se).
>
> This Error prevented the orcallator data gathering process from starting.
>
> I seem to have fixed this by changing 3.4 to a directory, and populating
> with stuff from:
>
>   http://svn.orcaware.com/repos/trunk/orca/lib/SE/3.4/

I patched the lib/Makefile.in to create the 3.4 directory in the install tree,
so this should work now.

> 2)  The Graphs for following showed up as invalid links.
>
> Daily alpha Interface Deferred Packet Rate
> Daily alpha Interface Collisions
> Daily alpha Interface Nocanput Rate
> Daily alpha Disk Run Percent
> Daily alpha Disk Service Time
>
> The explanation and patch indicated in prior posting to list seems to
> resolve this issue:
>
>   http://www.orcaware.com/pipermail/orca-dev/2004-July/000528.html

I'll look into putting this patch into Orca.

> 3)  When I start the orca graph generation, I was the following error:
>
> Argument "2.121_02" isn't numeric in subroutine entry at
> /usr/local/orca/bin/orca line 51.
>
> The line listed is where the data dumper module is specified, so I
> reloaded it with following... And, even though, it failed half fo the
> make test it seems to have solved the issues and I see no other errors.

I just saw this the other day with a fresh install of ActiveState's ActivePerl
Build 811.  I didn't try reinstalling Data::Dumper.  This is an odd bug, the
first time.

What version of Perl are you using?  Who built it?

>       % wget
> http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/G/GS/GSAR/Data-Dumper-2.101.tar.gz
>       % gunzip -c Data-Dumper-2.101.tar.gz | tar xvf -
>       % cd Data-Dumper-2.101
>       % perl Makefile.PL
>       % make
>       % make test
>       % make install UNINST=1
>
> *** From make test
>         Failed 78/162 tests, 51.85% okay
> Failed 1/2 test scripts, 50.00% okay. 78/163 subtests failed, 52.15% okay.
> make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 29

This isn't good.  I just tried rebuilding Data::Dumper with ActiveState Perl's
and it passed just fine.

> 4) Lastly, The Sunfire 240 has bge interfaces for which I am seeing
> traffic on the graphs okay.  It also showing me output graphs for ge
> interfaces for which I have NONE.  This really doesn't concern me, but
> was wondering if anyone else has similar similar behavior.

Which interfaces?  Can you send the first line of your output orcallator data files?

Thanks,

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/