[Orca-users] Help: Command failed for target "MD5.o"

sreenath sarikonda sreeredhat at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 13:23:32 PST 2005

Thank you Blair but now I have one more problem.I
installed active state perl and set the path as
follows

/opt/sfw/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

(for gcc)    (for new perl5.8)  (for make)

However I am getting this error

checking for shared library extension... so
checking for the C compiler perl wants to use to build
its modules... ./configure: test: unknown operator
-B/usr/ccs/bin/
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
`rrdtool-1.0.40/config.status'
Current working directory /test/orca-0.27/packages
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

I found that the
following error

its modules... ./configure: test: unknown operator
-B/usr/ccs/bin/

 could be because of how installation program could be
trying to find the compiler. When I do "perl -V" it
gives me the output saying compiler gcc as below.

 Compiler:
    cc='gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/',

However the extra arguments are also extracted by
installation and passwed to the program and hence
giving out installation errors.

I have installed perl 5.6 which gives (perl -V output)
Compiler:
    cc='gcc', ccflags ='-DUSE_REENTRANT_API
See the options for cc='gcc' instead of 'gcc
-B/usr/ccs/bin'

hence I was able to install successfully. Once again
thank you very much to Blair and whoever responded.

Sree.

--- Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:

> sreenath sarikonda wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >               I am new user of Orca and I was
> getting
> > this error while installing. I have installed gcc
> > and tried these options
> > env CC=gcc ./configure
> > env CC=gcc make
> > but it always fails in step 2(make) with the error
> > t/lang..............ok
> > All tests successful.
> > Files=4,  Tests=405,  1 wallclock secs ( 1.31 cusr
> +
> > 0.11 csys =  1.42 CPU)
> > cd Digest-MD5-2.20 && make OPTIMIZE="-g -O2" test
> > cc -c   -g -O2     -DVERSION=\"2.20\"
> > -DXS_VERSION=\"2.20\" -KPIC
> > -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE
> > -DU32_ALIGNMENT_REQUIRED MD5.c
> > sh: cc: not found
> > *** Error code 1
> > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
> `MD5.o'
> > Current working directory
> > /test/orca-0.27/packages/Digest-MD5-2.20
> > *** Error code 1
> > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
> > `test_digest_md5'
> > Current working directory /test/orca-0.27/packages
> > *** Error code 1
> > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
> > `test_modules'.
> >
> > I am planning to install orcaware on 8 machines
> > atleast so Installing Perl modules which are
> compiled
> > with gcc would be a arduos option. Any help is
> > appreciated. gcc is installed in /opt/sfw/bin and
> here
> > is the path.

/opt/sfw/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/ccs/bin

http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl