[Orca-users] Disk Space Size Usage graphs

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed May 11 15:10:15 PDT 2005

Blair Zajac wrote:
> Erich Oberle wrote:
>
>> In addition to the graphs showing disk space percent usage I'd like to
>> create one that has the size usage, i.e. the size in bytes from df -k
>> (prefer megabytes but older Solaris doesn't have option).  So, I simply
>> tried to add the following graph creation entry to orcallator.cfg:
>>
>> plot {
>> title                   %g Disk Space Size Usage
>> source                  orcallator
>> data                    mntU_(.*)
>> line_type               line2
>> legend                  $1
>> y_legend                Percent Used
>> data_min                0
>> data_max                100
>> plot_min                0
>> plot_max                100
>> }

I just realized the problem with this.

The mntU_* is disk usage in kBytes, so the data_min and data_max will
ignore all data that it smaller than 0 kBytes or larger than 100 Kbytes,
so you'll load almost no data.  You're thinking the mntU is a
percentage, when it is not.

Try this plot:

plot {
title			%g Filesystem Usage: $1
source			orcallator
data			1024 * mntU_(.*)
data			1024 * mntA_$1
line_type		area
line_type		stack
legend			Used
legend			Available
y_legend		Bytes
plot_min		0
base			1024
}

If you want percentage, then ideally something like this should work,
but I'm pretty certain Orca can't deal with this:

plot {
title			%g Filesystem Usage: $1
source			orcallator
data			mntU_(.*) / mntA_$1
line_type		area
legend			Used
y_legend		Percentage
plot_min		0
plot_max		100
}

Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<blair at orcaware.com>
Subversion and Orca training and consulting
http://www.orcaware.com/consulting/