[Orca-users] working with mixed-column data sources...

Cockcroft, Adrian acockcroft at ebay.com
Tue Feb 7 13:08:49 PST 2006

The original idea for the file format was to have collated performance
metrics using a single timestamp, rather than trying to merge lots of
unsynchronized **stat tools output. The original name was percolator,
before Blair made it into orcallator and built the display components.
See

http://www.itworld.com/AppDev/1609/UIR960301perf/ for the original
description and
http://perfcap.blogspot.com/2005/10/sunworld-columns-at-itworld.html for
a list of info on similar topics.

So the ideal way to include a new metric is to add a column for it and
report it at the same frequency as everything else. You can convert
another logfile by counting its event rate, the same way as http access
logs are summarized into orca.

Adrian