[Orca-users] Multiple disk space percentage graphs

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat Feb 11 07:29:03 PST 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 8:35 AM, Tonij T. wrote:

> Thanks for the information, Dragon .  I realized that when I
> replied I didnt CC: the mailing list, and since the point of
> mailing lists is to share information I thought I would update
> everyone on this.
>
> He did a great job of pointing me in the right direction.  I have
> been fiddling with the orcallator.cfg file to see how I can change
> things.  For some reason, no matter what changes I make to this
> file, the graphs never change.  Not sure what is going on there but
> all is not lost because I have another idea anyway...(I know, I am
> all over the place here but bear with me... :D )
>
> Since my main goal here is to isolate specific file systems, why
> not go right to the source?  Since Orca  is using RRD to collect
> disk space metrics I decided to learn how it is being stored and
> how Orca is pulling that data out.  What started out as a daunting
> task has actually yielded some decent results.  I am able to create
> manual graphs of specifc file systems on the fly now.  Cool! I love
> RRD, its an awesome tool.
>
> Now, what would be a BIG help, is if I could see just how Orca is
> generating these graphs.  The nuts and bolts of the .png creation,
> I guess.  I have the basics down, i.e. I can create a graph with a
> given start time and end time using the counter for the given
> filesystem.   What I am a bit baffled on is how Orca is also
> showing me averages, min and max values.  I have been trying to get
> that into my custom graphs but have not had any luck.
>
> Where does Orca do all the RRD work?  I dont see anything in
> orcallator.cfg that is actually creating the graphs but I do see
> some variables.  It would be a huge help if I could see something
> like:
>
> rrdtool graph image.png  -u 100 -l 0 -v "Percent Used"  --start
> 1138600800 --end 1139501009
> DEF:used=gauge_mntP_per_SOME_FILE_SYSTEM.rrd:Orca19990222:AVERAGE
> LINE1:used#FF0000 -variable -variable -variable etc.

The lib/Orca/RRDFile.pm file does all the creating and updating the
data in the *.rrd files.

To see how the plots are created, look in the lib/Orca/ImageFile.pm
file, specifically the _update_graph_options _plot methods.

> Oh and another question:  I am using Orca version 027.  I dont see
> a later version anywhere but I did find something called "orca-
> snapshot-r525".  Is that an update?  Its all rather confusing to
> me, I would expect a newer version to be 028 or 030 or something...

Yes.  The rXXX refers to a revision number in the Subversion
repository and is a totally numbering system from the official Orca
releases.