[Orca-users] File System Capacity to Orca Server

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Fri Feb 17 12:47:06 PST 2006

pablo calvo wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> How can I send File System Capacity measured value to Orca Server?.

Assuming you're talking about a Sun, you can use RICHPse and orcallator
to collect data on your system periodically, and store its results to
some central location using a method of your choice.  The Orca Server
will then use RRD and stuff to generate graphs on that data on a
periodic basis.  If you're not using a Sun, there are other
"blah-allators" in the Orca distro and elsewhere that will gather this
data.  Reference the Orca FAQ and documentation for more details:
http://www.orcaware.com/orca/docs.html

> How can I send email alarms from Orca Server?

There is no mechanism within Orca to send email.  This is the role of an
EMS (Enterprise Management(Monitoring) System).  Orca is a performance
tracking tool, not a monitoring or management tool.  To handle alerts, I
would either use some sort of SNMP product (eg HP OpenView) or LVM
product (eg Veritas) for such things, or write a script that runs now
and then to parse the latest Orca logs and identify filesystems that are
over a certain threshhold.

Cheers,
--Dragon